Children have a right to feel safe and secure; among family and friends are where children should be at their safest.  Abuse by a trusted family member or friend can be absolutely devastating, especially when the abuser is still involved in their life, leaving them feeling powerless.  This may make it difficult to come forward and report the abuse at the time it happens.

If you or someone you know is being abused, or you suspect an individual to be abusing a child, contact the police immediately. They can take action to protect you or any children that may be in danger.


If you have been a victim of abuse then you have options available to you.


Who Can I Bring My Claim Against?

In the case of abuse by a family member or friend, the best option is to bring a claim against the individual who abused you, if they have enough resources to pay compensation.  It may also be possible to bring claim against the local authority or the NHS, for example, if it can be established that social workers or health care professionals were aware of the abuse and failed to take action to protect you from harm.


My Abuser Has Never Been Convicted, Can I Still Bring A Claim?

Even if you have never reported the abuse to police, you still may be able to bring a claim, because a claim can proceed without a criminal conviction.

It is easier to bring a civil claim if your abuser has been convicted, because the police already have records and evidence against them, but do not let this deter you from considering bringing a claim. If you would like to speak about the specifics of your case, you can contact us.

Do I Have To Bring My Claim In Court?

Even if you do not wish to take your abuser to court, you can still claim compensation for the harm you have suffered. The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is a government funded scheme which provides compensation to people who have suffered abuse with awards ranging from £1,000 to £500,000.

This may be a good option if you wish to pursue an individual who cannot afford to compensate you or if the abuser has died.

A CICA claim is designed to be a last resort for those who cannot pursue another method of compensation. If you believe that this is the best option for you call our experienced legal team, who will talk you through your options and give you advice on your application.


Why AO Advocates?

Our experienced legal team has helped many survivors bring claims against their abusers. We understand that abuse is a difficult subject to talk about, and our team will handle any information that you give us with sensitivity and the strictest confidence.

We know that money cannot undo the damage caused by abuse, but we hope it can give you peace of mind and allow you to begin rebuilding your life.

Counselling can be essential to recovery, but it is also expensive. This is why we are leading the way in rehabilitative measures by requesting that defendants pay for treatment from the beginning of the claim instead of waiting to recover damages at the end of the claim.


If you have any further questions, see our frequently asked questions page or contact us directly. Your initial consultation will always be free and confidential.